The Jordan Staircase in the Winter Palace.
The Main Staircase of the Winter Palace was restored after the 1837 fire by Vasily Stasov, who in the main retained Rastrelli’s concept. Two broad flights of marble steps lead up to a landing embellished with grey granite columns. The 18th-century ceiling painting by Gasparo Diziani depicting Mount Olympus visually enlarges the interior that is transfused with light, gleaming gold and mirrors. The staircase is adorned with statues, some of which were brought from Italy in Peter the Great’s reign. In the 18th century it was known as the Ambassadors’ Staircase, later the Jordan Staircase, since the imperial family used it to descend to the Neva at Epiphany for the ceremony of the Blessing of Waters (in which the river symbolized the Jordan). Source
So this happened in class...
- Me: You say you don't have a problem with gay guys yet you don't want them around you?
- Male classmate: I just don't want them hitting on me.
- Me: What makes you think they even want you?
- Male classmate: Somebody would and I don't want them cat calling at me or any of that gay shit.
- Me: What's wrong with cat-calling at you? You do it to women all the time. I've seen you. If it's wrong then why do you do it?
- Male classmate: But that's different. I'm not in to dudes and I don't want people bothering me when I'm not interested. I don't want them coming over and touching me either. What's wrong with me waiting to be comfortable?
- Me: Because being a woman automatically means that they're interested in you? Because liking people of a certain gender means you go out harassing them? You're telling me that you don't want to be around gay guys because you fear that they will treat you the same exact way that you treat women? Like those times (female classmate) told you she wanted be be left alone and you got your friends to mock her because she wasn't interested?
- Male classmate: Whatever. That's just stupid and when guys do it to girls it's different.
- Me: *references the class* That sound you hear is this guy's brain working in over-time trying to keep him from looking like a hypocrite...don't think it's working.
- Teacher: Let's get back on topic.
- Gay male classmate chimes in: *references homophobic hypocrite* Don't nobody want your dusty ass anyway.
This is how alcohol looks under the microscope:
A company called Bevshots has produced a series of shots of booze under the microscope at the Florida State University’s chemistry labs. Here are their molecules at 1000x Magnification!
What really motivates me is seeing people in the crowd and wondering what they’re going home to and what they’re dealing with, and knowing that for the time being, we’re their escape”— Hayley Williams